About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Hello I’m Joanne the face behind StitchArt.co.uk. This blog is to share my work, other fab things & most importantly to share my thoughts that there is beauty to been seen in everything we see (well nearly everything). Thank you for taking the time to read my blog :)

Followers

Thursday 2 June 2011

Hello all and welcome to my first blog!

I’ve thought about it for a long time but kept putting it off thinking if I struggle to juggle my work, website & facebook account how on earth would I find the time for a blog?  Like most things you just have to find the it.  I have a website & I use facebook as my main outlet & networking tool but I keep coming across outstanding work from people who don’t even have a facebook account so I reckon there must be something in this blogging lark. 

I should start with the basics and tell you a little about my background.  My name is Joanne Walker I’m 30, no kiddywinks but I do have a cat that I call my special little boy does that count?  Art was my favourite subject and I’ve always had a fondness for the built environment so after school I went straight into GNVQ in Construction and the Built environment, with the idea of being an architect.  I was the only girl on the course and got tired of lads sat behind me dropping things on the floor just so I’d bend down while they copped an eye full.  I got distinctions on my architectural drawings and passes on my written work. Even though I did love the drawing side it was minimal and creatively constricting so after a year I transferred to another part of the college and started a GNVQ in Art and Design.  I can confirm I stuck with this and passed with flying colours. 

But what next? I turned to my teachers for advice who told my my style would be suited to textiles, would it? I made a pigs ear of a cushion I made at school.  I really didn’t have a clue so with their direction I applied for a degree in surface design.  That lasted all of 3 months, designing curtains and bed linen was just not for me.  This was confirmed on a Uni trip to Chelsea craft fair, I believe they call it Origin nowa days.  I suppose I could say that day trip changed my life.  It was on a Friday, I had a look around saw Janet Bolton and Julia Arkell and had a eureka moment! The following Monday I handed in my Uni notice so to speak and off I trotted. 

I didn’t finish there though! I seeked out the perfect course for me a HND in Textiles.  It gave me the practical knowledge with creative free reign.  I also took a part time evening course in soft furnishings but I don’t want to bore you anymore, thanks for reading.  I will leave you with my first ever textile picture......










4 comments:

Jenny said...

Lovely to hear a bit more about your background Joanne, so interesting to hear about your textiles journey! Good luck with the blogging, I really like keeping a blog, though I don't update it as often as I probably should! Jenny x

StitchArt.co.uk said...

Thanks Jenny, I’m now following your blog too its looks just as good as your lovely work, Joanne x

Ditsy Bird Designs said...

Hi Joanne!
What a lovely and funny (copping an eyeful) first blog post - looking forward to reading more.
I'm a craft souper too and have followed the link from there. I will follow your blog to read the next instalment.
Love the textile picture!
Sarah x

StitchArt.co.uk said...

Thanks for the comment Sarah and for following :) Hope I keep it up! I will pop over to your blog x